Thursday, August 6, 2009

An Historic Day for Justice Sonia Sotomayor

The US Senate voted 68-31 to approve President Obama's nominee for the US Supreme Court, Sonia Sotomayor. She is the first hispanic/latina and the third woman appointed to the bench of the Supreme Court of the US.(SCOTUS) See my earlier blog on this issue here. I am glad that this issue is resolved and our fearless leaders in the Congress can return to DC after their summer recess with this cleared from their agendas. Now they can devote more time to reforming the health care reform bills in Congress. As I have noted earlier in this blog, I would rather have smaller more efficient changes than a complete remake of the system.

If I found a magic lamp with a genie that could only grant wishes for US Congressional acts, these would be my wishes:

1. Term limits for members of Congress. Barney Frank, Teddy Kennedy, Maxine Waters, The Late Strom Thurmond. Need I go on?


2. Page limits for legislation. The health care reform under current consideration is 1000 pages. Hillarycare was 1300 pages. Get the point?

3. Abolish Government Sponsored Enterprises.(GSE) Social Security, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac.

No comments: