Monday, June 22, 2009

A Few Comments on the Family smoking prevention and tobacco control act.

Today, June 22, 2009 President Obama signed into law the family smoking prevention and tobacco control act. Let's review a few of his remarks during the ceremony. I am getting these quotes directly from the whitehouse's blog. Just go to whitehouse.gov and click on the blog.

Obama accused the tobacco industry of targeting young people, exposing them to a "constant and insidious barrage of advertising where they live, where they learn and where they play. Most insidiously, they are offered products with flavorings that mask the taste of tobacco and make it even more tempting."

R J Reynolds agreed to stop this in 2006, so I'm not seeing a whole lot of benefit from this, especially when one of the most popular cigarette flavorings, menthol, was exempted.

Also, the remark about "constant and insidious barrage of advertising where they live, where they learn and where they play." If where they learn means public schools, I do not recall ever seeing a cigarette ad at my grade or high school. ( I got my h.s. diploma in 1971 in Richmond, Va. The home of Phillip Morris) They were not for sale at my schools, kids who smoked had to buy them in stores. Seniors were allowed to smoke on a huge section of an oak tree outside the shop class if they had a note from their parents. Everyone else had to take their chances in the restrooms. My, how times have changed. But alas, I digress.

Mr. President, now that you are a de facto president of Government . . . wait I meant the new and soon to be improved General Motors, will you restrict auto ads aimed at younger people? Think of the lives you could save. Probably none. Let's get real here. With a few exceptions, most products are marketed to younger people. They are the next wave of customers and marketers want to establish brand loyalty with their newest prospective customers. Cigarette makers are providing a wanted product to consumers, just like car makers, insurance companies, banks, grocery stores etc.

I don't smoke. I used to but gave it up when the bad effects of smoking overwhelmed my desire to smoke. This is how most smokers stop. They just get tired of it and quit. I used to work for Social Security. I was amazed at the number of people I interviewed to start their disability benefits for lung cancer who had 2 packs of smokes, one in each shirt pocket. I know some people will smoke until the day it kills them. I cannot stop that and neither will this bill. More to come on this later.

No comments: